Skateboarding or roller skating is an aerobic activity that involves all the bodily muscles especially the heart and mind.
It is literally equivalent to the activity of jogging in terms of both health related and consumption of high calories, bodily fat reduction and leg bones strengthening. “With a healthy lifestyle, we can avoid 60-70% of known illnesses.”- Samir Becic.
Known as one of the so-called extreme sports, skateboarding is becoming popular among the youths(1) wherein mainly you can see children right from 3 years start doing skating. It is actually a form of sporting activity wherein a person rides on a small board mounted on wheels and balancing himself/herself.
Skateboard: Though there are different sets of boards(2), varial heelflip is seemed to be the demanding in the market.
In this type of board, one has to flip on the heel and the board gets spun on the front side.
- 360 Flip: It is about a 360 shove with a kickflip, in which the board gets one complete rotation
- Ollie North: In this, the board’s front foot is taken off for rotation
- Laser Flip: It involves a front side 360 shoves with a heelflip
Health Benefits of Skateboarding
Though skateboarding is a sport can also call as a hobby, culture and a lifestyle to someone. Muscles that get worked out during skateboarding is of:
- Hamstrings (a group of four muscles that get extended from the Gluteus part to the back portion of knee)
- Gluteus maximus
- Lower Legs
- Provides Flexibility: It provides flexibility to the ankle muscles and helps the body to stay limber while skating.
- Physical Endurance: The more flexible a person is the more he/she can skate well. It gives physical power to the bodily tenacity and thus it enhances the endurance power.
- Full body workout: Skateboarding involves complete actions of feet, legs, arms and totally the person has to twist the body. Hence while balancing he/she has to control his/her body thus gaining complete workout for the body
- Burns Calories: When the total human body comes into the physical workout, calories get burned automatically. Averagely a person can burn 150 to 500 calories on per hour skating.
- Teaches Exactitude: Skating involves numbers of flips. So when you fail while falling down, it involves getting up, try and try again. However every time one might come to know about the tricks and techniques that how to balance the body! When you place your feet on the board, you ought to adjust the skating time, speed and thus keep moving on or landing. Hence it teaches one how to nail tricks & techniques to the precision.
Apart from the above discussed, skateboarding helps to enhance the power of coordination while playing, helps to transfer to get engaged into other sports activities (surfing, snowboarding or wakeboarding) and also teaches how to conquer, how to be patient by regular practices.
All you need are a good set of wheels(3) and you are all set to go.
It relieves stress and depression to both mind and body. And for general wellbeing, skating helps escaping from the risks of man health related problems such as:
- Cardiovascular problems
- High blood pressure
In addition, skateboarding helps to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering the levels of triglyceride and by increasing the level of good cholesterol!